Monday, August 18, 2014

Adam's ALS Challenge


I’m going to jump up on a soapbox, so bear with me for a minute.


The ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE is broken! I say this as I was recently “called out” by one of my best friends. He made a great video (thanks to Ma’) that shows him calling me and some others out, giving us 24 hours to take the challenge then dumping the bucket of water on his head.

I have seen this explode on social media but I have been curious, is this really helping ALS? I mean the whole point of the challenge is to dump water on your head to avoid having to donate or having to donate far less.



"Between July 29 and today, August 12, The ALS Association and its 38 chapters have received an astonishing $4 million in donations compared to $1.12 million during the same time period last year." -- That seems like a lot, but for as much publicity as it's been given it's really not.

So I say this challenge is broken! It’s broken because we're spotlighting ourselves. Why not spotlight ALS, why not understand how devastating this disease really is. Why not challenge each other to do something that really makes an impact on ALS?

I challenge you all to watch the video below. To take a quick look at this young man’s journey and understand that this horrific illness claimed the life of this man in just a few short years. Then think like me and understand that where there’s a good beer there are great people. Checkout Ales for ALS, click on Donate Here in the upper right hand corner and put your money where your ICE BUCKET is. Even a donation of a buck or two can make a difference. Then find a participating brewery and enjoy a pint with a friend.


I really do enjoy seeing everyone playing in the water, but I really hope you all will take my challenge and understand how ALS touches the lives of others and how a cold craft beer can help with a cure.





No comments:

Post a Comment