Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Trying my hand at Pasta di Cacao

From time to time I run across things on Pinterest and think to myself, is this for real!? This recipe was one of those.


So I was puruzing (is that even a real word?) Pinterest like I like to do, and I ran across a picture of this beautiful dark brown pasta. I clicked on it, and it got bigger, why this is necessary I don't know. Again I clicked on it and it led me to Cathi Iannone's blog The Brooklyn Ragazza. The post was called Award-Winning, Chocolate Pasta ~ Pasta di Cacao and I was awed by the beautiful pictures that were upon my screen. I began reading and quickly realized this wasn't some bogus post this was some legit pasta that I had to try. So I did!

Rather than post her recipe I would encourage you to follow the links above and visit her blog, she has tons of other beautiful posts that I intend to try sooner or later.

I will note that I strayed from her recipe a little and used standard King Arthur AP Flour. They make a King Arthur Flour Italian-Style Flour, 3 lbs. (Google Affiliate Ad) that is more like a "00" like she calls for in the recipe but I couldn't find it local.

I also used Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa because it was the best I could find at the supermarket. I would guess you could find better and it would make this awesome pasta even awesomer.

I followed the recipe and I'll let the cell phone photos speak from here....



I combined all the ingredients in the Kitchenaid until the dough would barely stick together. It will seem very dry but that is perfect. I then made a ball and covered in plastic wrap for a 30-45 minute rest.

Then onto the rollers. Like all pasta, start out on the widest setting and work your way down with every pass. I worked mine down from 0 to 5 on the Kitchenaid roller.


Then onto the fettuccine cutter....


While all of that was going on I tossed a couple of seasoned chicken breasts on the BBQ and started my Alfredo Sauce.

The Alfredo Recipe I use is quite simple and easy to make but it takes time and patience.

Ingredients

  • ½ Cup Heavy Cream
  • ½ Cup Milk
  • 6 Tablespoons Butter (yeah the real stuff, don't even try to cheat)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Add all to medium saucepan and slowly bring to a boil over medium heat, lower the temperature to a simmer and continue to stir occasionally making sure not to burn the bottom. Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken ~20 minutes. Serve immediately to avoid separation.

Boil your noodles, prepare your cooked chicken, add sauce and enjoy!





In closing this was some of the most incredible pasta I have made to date. Like Cathi says, this is a savory pasta. So it plays with your mind a little, naturally you think of chocolate as being sweet yet this is not. 

While making this your home will be engulfed with the amazing smell of cocoa. And by the time it's ready you'll be starving. My wife was just sure she was going to dislike it yet she loved it and has encouraged me to make it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment