Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Damn you Dodge!

Dealer says $379, cuda2000 says do it yourself for less!


So I had the same problem that many others have had, a drippy hose. Not the kind that pills can fix either.

I knew I had a small leak but hadn't had a chance to take a look at it so when my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan was at the dealer getting the 4th transmission installed, yes that is not a typo I said fourth transmission they also noticed the leak and offered to fix it. The service advisor called and said "have you noticed any smoke or a sweet smell coming from your van?" I said yes, I have a coolant leak but haven't had a chance to look for it. He said "it's a bad heater hose and we can fix it for $379." He says "it's a real bitch and the part alone is $139." So I said let me think about it and I'll give you a call back. 

So in normal fashion I hit the Google and found cuda2000's video. I watched it and called the dealer back and said don't worry about the hose, I'll take care of it myself.

I then hit Amazon and purchased the following parts...

Gates 28491 5/8 Inch Polybag Heater Hose

Precision Brand M6S Micro Seal, Miniature All Stainless Worm Gear Hose Clamp, 5/16" - 7/8" (Pack of 10)


Goodyear 65642 Connector for Fuel / Vacuum / Heater Hose


Cost including Amazon Prime 2 day shipping: $23.81 + 1 Gallon of Antifreeze ($12.47) = Total Cost of $36.28.




I did not drain the entire system, I just removed both the supply and return lines, lost about a cup of fluid. Replaced the parts as cuda2000 described and refilled the system as nessesary.


The Leaky "Y"


That son of a...

The new "T"

A view from farther back.
So all in all it took less than an hour and saved me over $300 plus a day in the shop. Many have asked if the Tee's impact flow or effect the system in any negative manner. The answer is no, not unless your super smart minivan knows it's alphabet.

1 comment:

  1. Not unless your super smart minivan knows it's alphabet! Thats awesome!

    ReplyDelete